This is an exciting opportunity within a very busy doctor’s surgery for an apprentice to learn all aspects of the surgery’s Administration and Reception duties.
The purpose of the role is to:
- Offer general assistance to the practice team and project a positive and friendly image to patients and other visitors, either in person or via the telephone
- Receive, assist and direct patients in accessing the appropriate service or healthcare professional in a courteous, efficient and effective way
- Undertake a variety of administrative duties to assist in the smooth running of the practice including the provision of secretarial and clerical support to clinical staff and other members of the practice team
- Facilitate effective communication between patients, members the primary health care team, secondary care and other associated healthcare agencies
Duties and responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities to be undertaken by members of the practice administration team may include any or all of the items in the following list. Duties may be varied from time to time under the direction of the senior receptionist/practice manager, dependent on current and evolving practice workload and staffing levels:
- Maintaining security in accordance with Practice protocols, when necessary
- Maintaining and monitoring the practice appointments system
- Processing personal and telephone requests for appointments, visits and telephone consultations and ensuring callers are directed to the appropriate healthcare professional
- Processing and distributing incoming (and outgoing) mail
- Taking messages and passing on information
- Filing and retrieving paperwork
- Processing repeat prescriptions in accordance with practice guidelines
- Computer data entry/data allocation and collation; processing and recording information in accordance with practice procedures
- Initiating contact with and responding to requests from patients, other team member and associated healthcare agencies and providers
- Clearing and re-stock consulting rooms as required
- Providing clerical assistance to practice staff as required from time to time, including word/data processing, filing, photocopying and scanning
- Ordering, re-ordering and monitoring of stationery and other supplies
- Dealing with clinical waste collection companies
- Provision of refreshments for staff and visitors as required; loading and emptying the dishwasher and keeping the kitchen area clean and tidy
- Keeping the reception area, notice-boards and leaflet dispensers tidy and free from obstructions and clutter
- In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately
- In the performance of the duties outlined in this job description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential
- Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data
This list is not exhaustive.
- Well organised and thorough, even under pressure
- Excellent communication skills.
- Willing to learn
- Good attention to detail
- IT literate
- Confident to deliver group sessions
- Flexible with hours
- Reliable and conscientious
- Excellent punctuality and attendance
Desired qualifications: GCSEs (or equivalent) at grades C/4 or above including English and maths.
Link to vacancy: https://www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeship/-421478
To apply: If you are interested in applying for this vacancy or want further information please follow the link. Please note you will need a .GOV account which you will need to sign into before applying.
Closing Date: 03/06/2019